Iconic general store damaged by smoke planning to reopen
MASON, MI (WLNS) – When fire broke out at the Baja Grill Restaurant in downtown Mason just eight days ago there was the threat that the entire 100-plus year old building was going to be a loss.
The building holds the iconic Kean’s General Store and though the building was saved, 6 News Justin Kree found out whether will reopen.
The flames stayed out of Kean’s, but the amount of smoke damage that affected the 87-year-old store was so bad that nothing in the store will be resold.
When looking at the Kean’s block in downtown Mason, you would think the Baja Grill on the corner is where the damage was done during the fire on June 21.
Right next door to the restaurant is Kean’s General Store. The 87-year old store has to be closed for some time because nothing can be sold.
“There is not one thing in the store that can be saved or resold. The smoke damage is that bad,” said Teresa Wren, owner, Kean’s General Store.
When Teresa Wren got the phone call that the building was on fire she ran over to her store and the smoke was billowing out of every window.
Wren, her family, and employees spent the day Monday taking inventory of everything in the store that was ready to ship it out.
“It was really scary and really sad. Some of my employees showed up and they’ve been so supportive, they’re ready to just dig in and do all the work that’s necessary, which is amazing.”
Brighter days will come to Kean’s as the store is looking to reopen.
Everything from the floor, the walls, and all the merchandise will be brand new. The Mason community will be happy to know that the legendary candy case was saved and will be in the store when it opens, which will take a little bit of time.
“My goal is fall. Like September, October. I’m hoping we can be open before the holiday season.”
Wren says when the store reopens; you shouldn’t be able to tell anything happened.
They plan to have the old-time charm back inside.
#Michigan #News #MichiNews